Joint Youth Development Committee (Chicago, Ill.) records
- Joint Youth Development Committee (Chicago, Ill.) records
- Chicago (Ill. .Joint Youth Development Committee
- 2.25 linear feet (6 boxes)
- Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions for Access
As part of our storage renovations, some or all items in this collection are offsite and inaccessible until 2022. Materials in the "Copy/Holdings Information" section with "Lot" or "OS" or "Oversize" in the call number are NOT currently available unless stated otherwise. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.
Conditions Governing Use
Contact the archives for more information on licensing and permissions for use and reproduction.
A common citation for archives is as follows: Item, Folder number and/or title, Box number, Collection title, ID number, Repository name, location.
Gift of Mrs. Marshall Scott (M1979.0075).
Biography or History
The Joint Youth Development Committee (JYDC) was established by the city of Chicago in 1962 to fight juvenile delinquency. The JYDC emphasized the role of community institutions in the rehabilitation of youth by using a decentralized approach with numerous sub-committees. In preparing project proposals, the JYDC often focused on Chicago's Near North Side and Lincoln Park community areas, which included the Cabrini-Green public housing project of the Chicago Housing Authority
Scope and Content
Correspondence, project proposals, reports, neighborhood surveys, meeting minutes and agendas, newspaper clippings, maps, and other records of the Joint Youth Development Committee (JYDC), a program organized by the city of Chicago to fight juvenile delinquency. Topics include racial integration, education, housing, and health, family, and neighborhood services. Some proposals and reports include program evaluations and community data. Some materials pertain directly to the Near North Side and the Lincoln Park community areas and the Cabrini-Green public housing project of the Chicago Housing Authority.
Descriptive inventory available online.
- Chicago (Ill.). -- Joint Youth Development Committee -- Archives
- Cabrini-Green Homes (Chicago, Ill.)
- Chicago (Ill.) Social conditions 20th century
- Lincoln Park (Chicago, Ill. : Community area)
- Near North Side (Chicago, Ill.)
- Child welfare -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- Juvenile delinquency -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Prevention
- Juvenile delinquents -- Rehabilitation -- Illinois -- Chicago
- Social work with youth -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- Youth -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- Financial records
- Newspaper clippings