Iroquois League collection
- Iroquois League collection
- Evanston History Center
- 0.25 Linear feet
- Iroquois League of Evanston (Evanston, Ill.)
Acknowledgements and Access
This collection was part of the BMRC Survey Initiative, 2009-2011. For current information about the collection and its status, please contact the Evanston History Center.
Founded in 1917 by Mrs. Eva Rouse and a small group of women, the Iroquois League sought to provide “a safe, supervised and economical home for Negro working girls.” The home, later called the North Shore Community House, was opened in 1924 on the corner of Garrett and Ridge Avenue and despite financial hardships through 1927, by 1929 the League was able to ‘burn the mortgage.
Scope and Contents note
The Iroquois League of Evanston records date from 1952 to 1972 and fill one archival quarter-sized box. The collection consists of speeches and membership lists, financial documentation, correspondence, meeting minutes and anniversary booklets.
Processing Information note
This collection was surveyed as part of the Black Metropolis Research Consortium's Survey Initiative on 2010 May 19 by Lauren Kalal.