- News releases
- Illinois Institute of Technology Archives
- 15.0 Linear feet
Illinois Institute of Technology was created in 1940 by the merger of two Chicago technical colleges (both opened in the 1890s), Armour Institute of Technology (AIT) and Lewis Institute. IIT continued the engineering, architecture, science, humanities, and home economics programs taught by Armour and Lewis, making higher education available to both men and women. IIT’s student body has always included first- and second-generation immigrants, ethnic and racial minority students, and international students. IIT’s main campus is on the South Side of Chicago at the former site of AIT. The campus expanded between 1945 and 1968. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (director of architecture at both AIT and IIT) laid out the campus and designed 20 of its 50 buildings.
Scope and Contents note
News (press) releases by Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago) sent to local media announcing events, programs, and activities of the university. The original press releases are in the collection of IIT Archives. They have been digitized and are available as full-text searchable documents from the Internet Archive. (Use the title NEWS RELEASES to search for the digital files.) For more information, see http://archives.iit.edu/indexes/. A link there will take you to the digitized press releases.
Processing Information note
This collection was surveyed as part of the Black Metropolis Research Consortium's Survey Initiative on 2009 November 14 by Andrew Steadham.