Unprocessed photos collection
- Unprocessed photos collection
- Illinois Institute of Technology Archives
- 60.0 Linear feet
Illinois Institute of Technology was created in 1940 by the merger of two Chicago technical colleges (both opened in the 1890s), Armour Institute of Technology (AIT) and Lewis Institute. IIT continued the engineering, architecture, science, humanities, and home economics programs taught by Armour and Lewis, making higher education available to both men and women. IIT’s student body has always included first- and second-generation immigrants, ethnic and racial minority students, and international students. IIT’s main campus is on the South Side of Chicago at the former site of AIT. The campus expanded between 1945 and 1968. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (director of architecture at both AIT and IIT) laid out the campus and designed 20 of its 50 buildings.
Scope and Contents note
Photographs of activities, people, and locations (buildings, landscape) on the campus of Illinois Institute of Technology. The photos are in various formats: prints, negatives, and contact sheets, and some slides and transparencies.
Processing Information note
This collection was surveyed as part of the Black Metropolis Research Consortium's Survey Initiative on 2011 November 14 by Andrew Steadham.