Toward Freedom Newsletter records
- Toward Freedom Newsletter records
- Northwestern University, Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies
- 2.92 Linear feet
- Language of Materials note
- Collection is predominantly in English; some materials are also in French.
- Toward Freedom. (Organization)
Toward Freedom is a newsletter founded by William Bross Lloyd, Jr. in the late 1950's to call American attention to civil rights issues, African colonial and postcolonial issues, and other occurrences of racial and religious discrimination across the globe.
Scope and Contents note
The Toward Freedom Newsletter collection consists of newsletters, correspondence, research files, newspaper articles, subscription information, funding information, publication mailers, and committee reports. The collection documents the tactics used by the newsletter creators to involve Americans in African issues, ways to support the newsletter, the research and fact-checking process, fundraising, and newsletter production.
Processing Information note
This collection was surveyed as part of the Black Metropolis Research Consortium's Survey Initiative on 2010 March 23 by Andrew Steadham and Lauren Kalal.