Archie Motley Archival Internship Program - Host Site Application Guidelines
Goals of the Archie Motley Archival Intern Program (AMAIP)
NOTE: The next active application period and deadline will be announced in October of 2022. A link to the online application will be added at that time.
The selected Host sites will support the goals of the Archie Motley Archival Internship Program:
- Provide meaningful and educational opportunities for students and emerging professionals.
- Expose students to career options available in libraries, archives, and special collections.
- Diversify the applicant pool for positions in Archives/Special Collections with a focus on Cultural Heritage Management.
- Support and foster work within BMRC-member institutions
Only current BMRC member institutions are eligible to serve as a host institution for an Archie Motley Archival intern.
The prospective host sites must submit a project proposal requiring at least 200 hours of work over 8 weeks during the summer to qualify for funding. Additionally...
- Projects should...
- provide the intern with an opportunity to be immersed in archival work using Black historical collections
- provide the intern with an opportunity to acquire a new skill set pertaining to archival work
NOTE: Members will be asked whether an AMAIP intern will be on-site, working remotely or a hybrid schedule. The BMRC board and staff will continue to review the coronavirus status and will let members know if a decision is made to only consider remote internships.
- Prospective host supervisor will complete an online application which will be reviewed by the AMAIP Jury Selection Committee.
- Host site supervisors will...
- develop and implement training at the start of the project
- manage the intern with regular check-in meetings, by reviewing their work, responding to questions and ensuring they are on track with project plans
- include them in appropriate meetings and events
- approve the intern's weekly online timesheet
- work with the BMRC Program Manager/Archivist regarding the Enrichment Activities & Professional Development mini course schedule
- Complete an online evaluation of the intern during the last week of the internship