The Black Metropolis Research Consortium believes in creating historical value and innovation through collaboration and resource sharing. By sharing resources and expertise and jointly developing collections, the BMRC facilitates access to African American materials in Chicago institutions and provides an enhanced service to researchers, publishers, and students. Access to other professionals may be the most important benefit BMRC membership has to offer.
Full Members and Associate Members must have archives that are:
- Free and open to the public, AND
- Contain collections or materials relevant to the Black experience
If you or your organization does not meet the above requirements, consider an Affiliate membership with the BMRC.
Affiliate Members are:
- Organizations or individuals without freely accessible or relevant archives, but who support the mission and work of the BMRC
- Stewards of private collections, family archives, collections not yet accessible to the public, and independent researchers
- Full Member: $2,000 annually
Default level of BMRC membership for organizations that meet the requirements of Full or Associate members
- Associate Member: $500 annually
Based on a combination of factors: FTE and collections staff, size of organization, budget, and other operating factors. The BMRC Board of Directors determines if an organization qualifies for Associate Membership.
- Affiliate Member – Organization: $200 annually
- Affiliate Member – Individual: $50 annually
The BMRC's fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30.
The BMRC uses Submittable platform for membership applications. A representative of the BMRC will contact you upon receipt of your application. Please note that membership dues payments will be invoiced after an application is approved by the BMRC. Membership becomes active after receipt of dues payment. The BMRC’s fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. Memberships estalished after August 1 will be prorated.
Questions? email us (email@example.com) with subject line - "Membership"
Interested in supporting the work of the BMRC, but not membership? Please consider making a donation to support us.