The Black Metropolis Research Consortium believes in creating historical value and innovation through collaboration and resource sharing. By sharing resources and expertise and jointly developing collections, the BMRC facilitates access to African American materials in Chicago institutions and provides an enhanced service to researchers, publishers, and students. Access to other professionals may be the most important benefit BMRC membership has to offer.
Full Members and Associate Members must have archives that are:
- Free and open to the public, AND
- Contain collections or materials relevant to the Black experience
- Full Member: $2,000 annually
Default level of BMRC membership for organizations that meet the requirements of Full or Associate members
- Associate Member: $500 annually
Based on a combination of factors: FTE and collections staff, size of organization, budget, and other operating factors
The BMRC's fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30.
Full Members and Associate Members receive the following member benefits
- Collections included in the BMRC’s searchable database
- Access to a network of archivists, librarians, researchers and other professionals with knowledge in Black history and culture, especially in Chicago
- Grant participation
- Eligibility to serve on the BMRC board, committees and working groups
- Voting rights on consortium initiatives brought to the membership
- Participation in BMRC Programs, including Summer Short-term Fellowship Program and Archie Motley Archival Internship Program
- Promotion on the BMRC website and/or communication channels
- Invitation to annual meeting and events
- Monthly e-newsletter and mailing (print copy) of BMRC NEWS, the BMRC's biannual newsletter published in January and July
How to Apply
Please send email us (email@example.com) with subject line - "Membership Request"
Interested in supporting the work of the BMRC, but not membership. Please consider making a donation to support us.