A. Achen letter
- A. Achen letter,
- Achen, A.
- Thomas, Lorenzo,1804-1875, recipient
- 2 items (6 p.)
- Material is in German.
Conditions for Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Contact the archives for more information on licensing and permissions for use and reproduction.
A common citation for archives is as follows: Item, Folder number and/or title, Box number, Collection title, ID number, Repository name, location.
Wiley, C.F. 1954/02/12 M1954.0003 Gift.
Gift of C.F. Wiley, 1954.
Scope and Content
Achen, an Ohio regimental surgeon at the Union lines before Vicksburg, describes recent events of the siege, such as Union naval attempts to break the Mississippi blockade, a speech by General Thomas on abolition, and the formation of African American regiments. On verso is a map in pencil of Vicksburg and vicinity, with various fortifications and encampments indicated. Also includes undated transcription.
- Achen, A.
- United States. -- Army -- African American troops
- United States -- Army -- Surgeons
- United States History Campaigns. Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States History Civil War, 1861-1865 Maps
- Vicksburg (Miss.) History Siege, 1863
- Enslaved persons -- Emancipation -- United States