Francis Rogan letter
- Francis Rogan letter
- Rogan, Francis
- Rogan, Isaac, recipient
- 1 item (2 p.).
- Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions for Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Contact the archives for more information on licensing and permissions for use and reproduction.
A common citation for archives is as follows: Item, Folder number and/or title, Box number, Collection title, ID number, Repository name, location.
Gift of the descendants of the recipient (1977.0064).
Scope and Content
Letter by Francis Rogan, from Bledsoe Creek, Sumner County (Tenn.), to his former enslaved person, Isaac Rogan, who is living in central Illinois. Francis Rogan, who is white, expresses respect for Isaac, who is African American, and reports on deaths and marriages of family and neighbors, occupations of former enslaved people, and living conditions in the area during and after the Civil War.
- Rogan, Isaac
- Rogan, Francis -- Correspondence
- Sumner County (Tenn.) Economic conditions 19th century
- Sumner County (Tenn.) Social life and customs Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States History Civil War, 1861-1865
- African Americans -- Illinois -- 19th century
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Sumner County -- 19th century
- Families -- Tennessee -- 19th century
- African American families -- Illinois -- 19th century
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee -- Sumner County
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- Sumner County -- 19th century