Christopher C. Wimbish papers
- Christopher C. Wimbish papers
- Wimbish, Christopher C., 1895-1962
- Daley, Richard J.,1902-1976, Dawson, William L.(William Levi), 1886-1970, Metropolitan Sanitary District of Greater Chicago, American Missionary Association
- 1 linear ft. (2 boxes)
- 1 oversize folder.
- Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Scope and Content
Sundry papers including Army bulletins and orders (1917-1918), newsclippings, legal documents and trial transcripts, correspondence, and speeches of Wimbish, an African American lawyer, and his family, most pertaining to his career as a First Lieutenant in the 366th Infantry Brigade, 92nd Division, in Kansas and in France during World War I; Democratic Ward Committeeman in Chicago; Illinois state senator, 1942-1954 (3rd District); and trustee of the Metropolitan Sanitary District of Greater Chicago, 1958-1962. Topics include race relations, Illinois Fair Employment Practices legislation, relationship between military service and voting rights (speech 1942), a political feud with politician William L. Dawson, and defendants' rights in criminal prosecutions. Includes materials by Mayor Richard J. Daley and the Metropolitan Sanitary District. Most material is in chronological order.
Scope and Content
The oversize folder, 1870-1962, contains newspapers, a life membership certificate of Columbus Wimbish in the American Missionary Association, graduation certificate from the Houston Street Public School (Atlanta) 1907, and pictures of Atlanta University and Howard University.
Conditions for Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Contact the archives for more information on licensing and permissions for use and reproduction.
A common citation for archives is as follows: Item, Folder number and/or title, Box number, Collection title, ID number, Repository name, location.
Gift of Mrs. Christopher C. Wimbish, September 1967 (M1967.0692).
Descriptive inventory available online.
- Wimbish, Christopher C., -- 1895-1962 -- Archives
- Daley, Richard J., -- 1902-1976
- Dawson, William L. -- (William Levi), -- 1886-1970
- Illinois -- General Assembly -- Senate
- Metropolitan Sanitary District of Greater Chicago
- United States -- Army -- Infantry Division, 92nd
- United States -- Army -- Infantry Regiment, 366th
- African Americans -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- African American lawyers -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- African American legislators -- Illinois -- 20th century
- African American politicians -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- African American soldiers -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- African American students -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 20th century
- Defense (Criminal procedure) -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th century
- Election districts -- Illinois -- 3rd Senate District
- March on Washington Movement (1940's)
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, African American
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Kansas
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Race relations -- 20th century
- Illinois -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Legal documents