First Presbyterian Church records
- First Presbyterian Church records
- The Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts
- 90.0 linear feet (90 cartons)
- Location note
- 1 18 2-6
- Parish records, church bulletins and programs, business records, artifacts (including missionary artifacts), etc., of this church founded at Fort Dearborn in 1833 and now in Woodlawn. The congregation has included many prominent Chicago families such as the Shedds, Buckinghams, and Fields, and became one of the first racially integrated congregations in Chicago, in 1953. Also includes information on the Blackstone Rangers, who used to meet in the church in the late 1960s.
- Materials are in English.
- First Presbyterian Church (Chicago, Ill.).
Conditions Governing Access
Collection available by appointment only.
Processing Information note
This collection was surveyed as part of the Black Metropolis Research Consortium's Survey Initiative on 2011 April 12 by Lisa Calahan and Andrew Steadham.