Harper Family Collection
- Harper Family Collection
- Shorefront Legacy Center
- 0.5 Linear feet
- Eunice Harper Winston married William Harper and had three daughters, Effie, Carrie, and Sarah, before moving to Evanston, IL. Effie married Fred Brooks and had two sons, Fred Jr. and Lawrence (Larry). The Harper Family Collection consists of correspondence, figure drawings, photographs, wedding invitations, memorial folders, a beauty culturist license, business cards, a book of parables, and several yearbooks.
Eunice Harper Winston was born in Lincolnton, GA in 1899. She married William Harper and they had three daughters, Effie, Carrie, and Sarah, and moved to Evanston, IL. Effie married Fred Brooks and had two sons, Fred Jr. and Lawrence. Carrie married Charles Whiteside and became a master cosmetologist. Sarah married Cecil Walker and became a supervisor at Fort Sheridan in Illinois.
Scope and Contents note
The Harper Family Collection is organized into three series: “Scrapbook,” “Family Documents,” and “Yearbooks.” The material comprising the collection consists of correspondence, figure drawings, photographs, wedding invitations, memorial folders, a beauty culturist license, business cards, a book of parables, and several yearbooks. Notably, a telegram to Effie Harper (Brooks) from Fred Brooks in 1941, a letter to Sarah Walker from Okinawa, Japan in 1945, and letters to Effie Brook’s family on the occasion of her passing.
Processing Information note
Processed by CLIR funded Black Metropolis Research Consortium “Color Curtain Processing Project.” Processor: Patrick Carr.
- African Americans--Illinois--Evanston.
- African Americans--Social life and customs
- Evanston (Ill.)--History.
- Suburban African Americans--Illinois--Evanston.
This series is comprised of the contents of the Harper family scrapbook. It includes correspondence, postcards, telegrams, photographs, wedding invitations, business cards, a book of parables, figure drawings, and the scrapbook cover itself.
- Correspondence and Memorabilia
- Figure Drawings and Newspaper Clipping
- Scrapbook Cover
This series is comprised of family documents from the Harper family. It includes a Wedding program, Memorial Folders, correspondence, stationary, photographs, and a Beauty Culturist License.
- Family Papers
- Beauty Culturist License
This series is comprised of three Yearbooks from Evanston Township High School (belonging to Sarah Harper, Carrie Harper, and Lawrence Brooks), and one Yearbook from Fort Leonard Wood U.S. Army Training Center (belonging to Lawrence Brooks).
- Evanstonian Yearbooks
- The Key Yearbook
- Fort Leonard Wood U.S. Army Training Center Yearbook