Second Baptist Church Records
- Second Baptist Church Records
- Shorefront Legacy Center
- 0.45 Linear feet
- Second Baptist Church was the first African-American Baptist church formed in Evanston, Illinois. Founded in 1882, the church still functions today. The Second Baptist Church records span from 1875 to 2008. The Second Baptist Church records concern the social history of the church rather than the organizational.
Evanston, Illinois' Second Baptist Church, an African American organization, was founded in 1882. Formed after several Black members of the First Baptist Church were granted dismissals from its congregation, Second Baptist Church was Evanston's first African-American Baptist church. The church went through several moves before finally settling into its current location on Benson Avenue. In 1883, several members broke from Second Baptist to later form Mt. Zion Baptist Church in 1894.
Scope and Contents note
The Second Baptist Church records are arranged into three series: “History,” “Publications,” and “Activities” and span from 1875 to 2008. The collection includes photographs, event programs and bulletins, material relating to Reverend Hycel B. Taylor, and Second Baptist Church's men's and women's clubs. Most material pre-1920 consists of photocopies.
Processing Information note
Processed by CLIR funded Black Metropolis Research Consortium “Color Curtain Processing Project.” Processor: Dustin Witsman.
- African American churches.
- African Americans--Illinois--Evanston.
- African Americans--Religion--Illinois--Evanston.
- Second Baptist Church (Evanston, Ill.)
- Second Baptist Church
This series contains files relating to the history of Second Baptist Church. It includes personal histories, articles, photographs, and notes.
- Second Baptist Church History,
- Copies from First Baptist (now Lake Street Church),
- Reverend Hycel B. Taylor,
This series is comprised of in-house publications and programs from Second Baptist Church. It includes programs, newsletters, and memos.
- Anniversary Programs,
This series is comprised of information related to Second Baptist Church's Men's and Women's Clubs. It includes publications, programs, and flyers.
- Men's and Women's Clubs